Saturday, September 27, 2008

Thoughts.....

My daughter and I had a discussion about the book the other night... Neither one of us is finding it overly graphic, in fact, I think we both wish that it was more descriptive, not just regarding the fighting, but in the other things that Ishmael sees and does; the things he is experiencing. An example, it's quite obvious that Ishmael and his soldiers are addicted to drugs, and yet during their time in the rehab center, there's not a single discussion about the realities of the detox process...
It did lead to an interesting discussion of the careers we had in the early - mid 90's and the things we (her father and I) saw American children go through during that time period, AIDS crisis, horriffic sexual abuse, suicide... I was honest with my daughter, it was hard as a young professional to be concerned with the other side of the world when you're involved with children completely broken and abused by those who proclaim to love them the most.
Travis, I do have a couple of questions for you; 1) why THIS book, and 2) will there be books in the near future that looks at world issues from a FEMALE point of view?

No comments: